The rank Psaltis is the chanter in the church. The following requiremnets are set by the diocese to maintain that the newly ordained are able to serve.
- The candidate must be at least 6 (six) years old.
- The candidate must display proper Christian behavior including:
- Regular confession, church attendance and communion
- Proper attire and general appearance, such as clothes, hair etc.
- Is not under the sway of bad habits such as smoking or drinking alcohol
- The candidate must demonstrate proficiency in all the congregation and sanctuary responses of the
- Divine Liturgy.
- The candidate must demonstrate an 80% attendance rate in the weekly Divine Liturgies.
- The candidate must be recommended by his father of confession.
Candidates must learn the following hymns before ordinaion:
- E pi-epro-siv-ke sta-si-te (Stand up for prayer.)
- Pray for the holy Gospel.
- You who are seated stand.
- Look towards the East.
- Through the intercessions of the Theotokos St. Mary. O Lord grant us the forgiveness of our sins We worship You, O Christ with Your good Father and the Holy Spirit. For You have come and saved us. A mercy of peace, a sacrifice of praise.
- The cherubim worship You and the seraphim glorify You. Proclaiming and saying, “Holy, Holy, Holy. Lord of hosts. Heaven and earth are full of Your holy glory.”
- Amen. Amen. Amen. Your Death, O Lord, we proclaim. Your holy Resurrection and Ascension into the heavens, we confess. We praise You. We bless You. We thank You, O Lord. And we entreat You O our God.
- May their holy blessings be with us. Amen. Glory to You, O Lord. Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy. Lord bless us. Lord repose them. Amen.
- As it was and shall be, it is from generation to generation And unto all the ages of the ages. Amen.